Friday, March 23, 2007

Day 144
Miami, USA

Yes.....its true. I report with great regret that we have returned to the good old USA. After 15 hours of flying...nearly 20 hours of tiring travel we arrived at US customs and imigration. On our native soil for the first time in five months.
When I first announced we were leaving, I told you there were two things that would bring us home:

A. We were ready;

We were not. We desperately wanted to see far Northern Brazil and Columbia. We were perfectly comfortable with our vagabond lifestyle and had gotten use to the packing, moving, and changing. We missed a few things.....but not enough to want our wonderful adventure to end.

B. We were out of money;
Well....close....but not quite.

So...why are we here?? To be honest, no matter how hard I fought it.....I just could not rid myself the responisiblity inside of me. And when my office starting putting the pressure on for me to come home.....we decided we had to heed the call to our old lives.
When I told Bryce we were going home he said "Yeah!" I don't think he quite understands what all that means and how much he will miss our adventure. He will probably say hi to all his friends and then want to go right back.
We are now spending a couple of nights with our friends Taylor and Amy in Miami. As far as I am concerned.....we are still on the trip.....I have never been to Miami!
Soon we will head t visit my Grandma just North of here.....and then....we have a dew ideas in the works!!!!
So.......keep reading. I hate a book with an obrupt ending! And we still have a few surprises in store.

6 Comments:

Blogger paula&dave said...

Glad you guys are back in the states. Dave will be in NYC/CT over Easter (with your Christmas gifts that never made it to SA) :). Hoping he'll be able to see you guys!!!
Rich - Dave is doing the DMT (Drinking Man's Tour) on Good Friday (basically a bunch of guys doing an all day pub crawl in NYC)...give him a call if you are interested in going with him :)
Can't wait to hear about the next adventure!
Love you guys!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Mariola said...

Welcome back to reality.. Good to know that you're back safe and sound. Last 5 months were quite an adventure, weren't they? And as far as I know you, this is NOT your last journey :)
Betsy, please say hi to your grandma when you visit her (she may remember me; we met when I went to Florida with your parents for the first time).
Miss you, May

8:58 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

NO! Say it isn't so! I've had SO much fun reading about your travels and vicariously experiencing your adventures. I've been reading your blog like a book, sitting down and reading about days at a time in one sitting. I loved reading about your relaxing times at the beach, imaging the taste of the food and picturing all the awe inspiring places that you visited. It sounds silly, but I am sad that your adventure is coming to a close. I will want to know how you are adjusting back to the "real world" so I hope you keep the blog updated for a while yet. You have such a fun way of expressing your experiences that at times I found myself laughing out loud. I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your adventures. For those of us who have a hard time getting the ambition to go to Downtown Minneapolis for an evening (this is not me of course) reading about your trip has been truly inspirational. Anyway, I had to let you know that it has been an absolute pleasure keeping track of the Herald's on their South of the border adventure.

Your faithful reader and Minneapolis suburb dwelling cousin,
Shannon

9:23 AM  
Blogger Evie said...

Wow! I thought you would last at least another month. As you say though... the travels are not done yet. Tell your Grandma I said hello. I couldn't believe that she remembered me the last time I saw her! She's a great woman, but so are the generations she has created.

I have also enjoyed your blog very much and would hate to see you end the blog now. It will take you awhile to "process" (yes, a counseling term... sorry) everything you have experienced and I would love to hear about your thoughts as you adjust and re-immerse yourself into back into "real" life. I had begun to think you had created a new "real" life, but, alas, home ties and the need for finances are strong.

I am happy to hear that after your grueling travels you are back safely. Taking a few days to adjust is probably a really good idea too. Hopefully we can see you soon!
Love and hugs, Evie

9:54 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ward Richardson said...

Welcome back. Don't get too depressed even once you're back in Boston. I'm sure you'll find that being home is a little bit of an adventure, too. This was my first real week of work and I've discovered my brain operates a little slower than it did before I left. I'm sure I'll get back in the swing of things, but it sure is a different pace of life.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Welcome Back! Sorry that I finally figured this comments thing out at the end. But your adventures have been amazing to follow. Caleb & I really enjoyed all of the photos - his favorite was still Bryce w/ the llamas. I hope the few suprises involve visiting the beautiful Pacific Northwest : ) We have missed you

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home