Friday, March 09, 2007

Day 133
Morro to Valencia
Valencia to Camamu
Camamu to Maru Penninsula
Maru Penninsula to Barra Grange
ALL BRAZIL
Ahhhh...."travel days" as we call them are never my favorites....but none the less, always an adventure.
This morning we got up early to bid farewell to the lovely Hotel Anima and the Island of Morro. Once again we were forced out not because we wanted to leave....but because we had run out of money. We, born of the easy ATM society....do not learn quickly. And, when the cash is gone...we must head to more modernized locals. Or at least stop by them on our way to even less modernized havens.
So we took the 30 minute bumpy road to the 20 minute smooth and lovely ferry, to the two hour car ride.....to the second ferry....not so smooth.
Yes, I am sorry, I have once again embarassed the American people. You see, we waited over an hour for the ferry until we finally realized "the ferry" was that tiny speed boat that had been waiting at the dock the entire time.
"Why couldnĀ“t we just leave?" asked Rich.
The answer came all too quickly as we realized they were waiting for more people. They loaded 8 tourists, one captain, and about 300 pounds of lugguage into the tiny speedboat, clearly marked on the side, in english, CAPACITY 4 PEOPLE. Maybe the problem being these people do not speak English.
So here is the part where I embarassed you.....
We only got about 5 feet from the dock before it became clear that not only were we hanging over the sides, but it was to be a bumpy ride.
So with all my american blooded gusto, I announced the boat would go no further until Bryce was wearing a life jacket.
All the Argentines onboard cracked up and made comments about overly paranoid Americans....but I did not care. He is my son...his life is my responsibility and pride does not play a part in that.
So..back to the dock we went.....Bryce got a life jacket....and 40 minutes later we arrived on the tip of the Maru Penninsula.
The best way I can describe it is to say.....imagine if there were no roads to P-town on the tip of Cape Cod. Just gorgeous, stunning beaches and a few small B&Bs. No restaruants, no shops. Simply water, sand and sun. Plus a guy who meets you at the dock with cold coconuts.
Another 45 minute truck ride over an even bumpier road brought us to Encantado Du Lua, our home for the next two nights. It was simple and small......but how can one be too unhappy when the waves are lapping at the shore and the sun is starting to slip into the ocean.
Though.....I have an admission to make: I woke up with a start in the middle of the night. I thought I had had a nighmare...but quickly acknowledged I had been dreaming about my bed. As I call it "my princess in the pea bed." My $10,000 bed. (Yes..remember...we had money once.)
Oh....how I love the pillow top matress and down pillows. 2000 thread count sheets and silk comforter. I felt the thin, lumpy pillow beneath my head and smelled the dampness of sheets left near the ocean too long. Could it be I missed home?
Not enough not to happily fall back asleep and wake up to the birds chirping out my window.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Whoop there it is.... the first cry for "home". YOu still oeb that bed.... those sheets.....
Can ya tell I miss you!
I saw Annette at MX, she thinks you are coming home 3-15. I told her no, who knows when they will be back! It is COLD COLD COLD here and it stinks. It's so cold the snow is cold and icy. Tell Rich no mail about his date and also tell him when he comes home I need Mango lessons, I am spending a FORTUNE on Nicaraguin mangos at whole foods and I to watch me cut them is hilarious! They don't taste as good as what you are eating for sure!
Glad you put a life vest on that boy! Though he is a very good swimmer.
XOXO
H

11:42 AM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

I concur on the life-vest! You are a good mother!
Are we starting to sense a call for home? Is it possible? I'm impressed this is the first (after 133 days) time we've heard a sincere miss for the creature comforts!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home