Sunday, February 11, 2007

Day110
Misiones, Argentina
We will call this entry "STUCK IN ARGENTINA". Here we are just 10 minutes from Brazil and 20 from Paraguay....but allowed in neither. Both countries require Americans to have visas. The Brazillian Consulate is still closed and Paraguay does not have an embassy anywhere near here. We could call our friend, The Ambassador, but since we have determined we will not have time to get to the capital where he lives.....we feel it would be a bit rude to call for help.
Hence, here we are.
Misiones has a population of about 6,000 inhabitants. I assume it was long ago carved out of the Jungle because of its location on the Rio Parana and later gained a place in the guide books soley due to its proximity to one of the worlds great natural wonders.....Iguazu Falls.
Today is Sunday which makes this sleepy little town even sleepier.
With the temps over 100F and high humidity....Bryce rebeled and decided to stay in the air conditioned room at our cute little B&B, while I headed into town to find information. I was completely frustrated at wanting to get out of Argentina.....and not being allowed to do so! Even Paraguay....I just want to go for the day......and as is a common problem of mine....the more I am told I can´t go....the more I want to. Unfortunately, Bryce seems to have inherited this distinct determination without cause. And Rich...well.....he is a good sport. Willing to do just about anything if I can plan it and it sounds fun.
As I walked the quiet streets of Misiones, I got the feeling that this city, once cut from the forest, was being overtaken as the jungle fought to take back its rightful land. The sidewalks buckle under the force of vines sprouting from the earth and the houses all seem to be cowering under the massive trees and plants that grow through their fences and invade their yards.
I walked from one end of town to the other without finding any travel agents, souviner shops, banks, or restaurants of distinction. The "Supermarket is nothing more than a long line of open air wooden stands, selling big wheels of cheese, 8 gallon containers of olives and strings of meat hanging from the ceilings.

I walked all the way to the end of the cemented streets looking for something of consequence....some kind of useful tourist information or somewhere good to eat....but the cement obruptly dead ended....into the Jungle. The one thing I did find....was plenty of smugglers. The main commerce here seems to be the ability to get anything you want over the border.....including yourself.
So....I have a plan. I found a guy, named Celos, who is picking us up at 5 tonight and smuggling us by boat across the river into Paraguay. He says we can´t spend the night....its too dangerous and since I have a child I will abide. But, he will take us over to visit the indigenus people of the Amazon on that side of the border. It sounds sooo exiciting! I am really looking forward to this "off the beaten track experience."
When we return tonight, Fernando (I found him in the lobby at The Sheridan Hotel near the park entrance) is going to meet us at our Pousada and put together a plan to get us to Brazil tomorrow. He even thinks he can pull off the most difficult part.....getting our lugguage there!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

OK, Just email someone where you are wnd where you friend plans on smuggling you into PG. And send your ambassador friends phone number up here just in case you all go mia.
As for BZ, Just get there. The MD's assure me Kayla will be fine it's just going around, now I am feeling it. But we still have a week to be healthy.

12:28 PM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

This sounds like quite the adventure!! Did you get to Paraguay? Was it really scary? And if so what does scary really mean? Can't wait to hear about it!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home