Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 111
Foz Du Igauzu, BRAZIL!
In the end.....all it took was one silver pen and a $11 dollar cab ride.
But, I will start at the beginning.
First...our Brazil guy never showed up last night.
So, in the early AM I went to the Consulate to make a plea.
First I was told I had the wrong forms and I needed to fill out different ones.
Then while I was filling those out, the guy told me....."Sorry, we are not doing visas today."
"COME ON!" I bellowed. "I have a hotel reservation. I am meeting friends. I just want to see your beautiful country!"
He looked at me. He looked at my right hand. He looked at me again and smiled. "I like your pen." He said.
Ah HA! I had forgotten the first and foremost rule of Brazillian culture......I had never bribed anyone!
I looked at the silver Four Seasons pen in my hand (I stole three of them) and I passed it through the window. "If you like it, it is a gift for you." I said.
He said "Come back in 1 hour."
3 Hours later we had three 30 day passes into Brazil. Not as good as a 90 day Tourist Visa.....but we will take it. It will get us to Carnivale and to Heather and her family. The whole thing cost me $300 in "Paper Tax" and one silver pen.
I wont complain....the girl behind me paid $200 in "Paper Tax" for one person....so i am figuring my pen saved me a few hundred bucks. Or maybe it was my charm. :)

Then....after ALL that....we hoped a cab and guess what..........he blew right past Brazillian immigration! He did not stop. Brazil never checked our passports and we got no stamp! After all I went through! I want my stamp!
Next time I am just saving my money and crawling across the border during the night!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

This time next week wahoo!!!! Can't wait. Just setting out little blog up, I know a blog for 10 days, how silly, but this way mom can keep track of us.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home