Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Day 119
Nitorei, Brazil
The Hardys are here! The Hardys Are Here!
Yesterday at 8am, after 20 hours of travel....Heather, Alex, Zach, Kayla, and Grandpa Jack arrived in Brazil.
We all met up at our house on the hill....which is Brazillian, but beautiful and settled in. Our favorite part of the house is the monkeys! I am sure the locals find them annoying...but we think they are adorable. Cheeky little guys though....they will scurry right into the house and steel food. Last night I could not set the table for dinner until the last moment because when I put out the bread rolls.....one disappeared!
Last night, Rich and I were ready to party with friends....but The Hardys were so exhausted, I think the only reason we kept them awake though dinner was because they were also starving.
Today everyone was still in need of a little RandR.....so we made it a beach and pool day. Its been nice and relaxing. The kids are having alot of fun having buddies and so am I!
Its funny how natural it feels to have Heather and her family here. Just seems like those we love belong on this adventure with us. Not having seen anyone from home since Carrie and Dave left almost two months ago......as awesome as it is meeting new people.....I love the comfort of "Those who know you."
The Beach was very crowded today.....National Holiday and all, which gave us a good chance to experience local culture.
Henceforth comes.....My tidbit for the day:
In Brazil......the body you have has NOTHING to do with the bathingsuit you wear. Thin/fat, taught and smooth or scared and wrinkly, young/old......they all wear string bikinis.
Now....close your eyes......take a moment to picture your grandma.... in a thong. In Public.
NO.....its not pretty. Some things about American culture have their perks!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mariola said...

Hello there! :-)
Is it Kayla (girl from the photo), Heather's daughter? I remember holding her in my arms when she was such a tiny baby.. Oh, how time flies! Betsy, say hi to the Hardys for me, please.
So, it looks like you guys still have a great time. I'm so happy for you.
I wonder what's next on your list of must-see-places. When do you plan to go back to the States?

Love, Mariola

TO NANA WARD:

It would be so good to have you here in Poland! Summer 2008 sounds just great. Take Papa, Betsy and Rich together with you and Brycie :-)I hope you will make it!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Evie said...

Okay, this entry was the first one that really made me cringe. Even with all the altitude sickness, etc... this one was by far the grossest!!!! I'm hoping I don't have to gouge out my eyeballs due to the images that have emerged through your entry! Ugh!!!! On a side note, however, I wish I could be so carefree. The thought of being in any kind of bathing suit sends chills up my spine. I have to tell you though... as my friend who grew up in Rio can attest to... some Brazilian women do have body image issues. All my research on body image and eating disorders will come in handy around the world!

I'm so glad that your friends are there. I could tell how excited you are to have a taste of home... many a very small sense of normalcy in a way. Zoe is absolutely jealous of you having monkeys all over. They are her favorite animal. Enjoy your friends and the marvels of a new world.
Love, Evie

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that'ѕ both еducative and amusing, anԁ let me tell
уou, уou have hіt thе naіl on the heaԁ.
Thе issuе is something that not еnough folks aгe
sρeaking intellіgently about. Ι am ѵery hapрy that I cаme acгoss thiѕ
in mу seaгсh foг something relating to this.



Here is my homерage ... lloyd irvin

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home