Thursday, December 14, 2006

DAY 43
SANTA CRUZ, CHILE
We made it! We made it! The Wine Valley! And let me tell you in the wise words of my husband "This place does NOT suck!"
After days, weeks....sometimes it feels like years of roughin´ it....today we pulled our car into the most lovely resort in the Colchagua Valley Wine Region of Central Chile. Pulled our car in....and had the valet get our lugguage!
Hot showers, Jacuzzi tubs, spacious rooms with balconies and fireplaces. Fountains and warm water pools. Chileans dressed to the nines lounging in the bar and American business men chating real estate deals over breakfast......it exists! Luxury has not been lost!
However, for the first time in nearly two months, I have to say I realized what I was wearing, and how my hair looked....and that I had no make-up on.....we certainly needed to step it up a notch here in Santa Cruz!
We immediately settled in and headed out to our first Vineyard. It was called Viu M and it was a wonderful experience. They take you on the tour in a horse and carriage...

and we drank our first taste of true Chilean wine right out of the vat.

I swear...I don´t know if wine has ever tasted so sweet. They have a wine here I had never even heard of...Camenere. We are told it went extinct in Europe years ago, but they found the grapes here in Chile about 30 years ago and began to produce them. It makes a light, delicioso red wine.....we took a few bottles back to the room.
We had Sushi for dinner! Incredible Sushi....after weeks of eating typical South American food (or pasta) we all proclaimed the chef an ARTIST....and retired back to the room for wine and card games.

Very fun times. A perfectly relaxing day in heaven.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Now this sounds like the kind of Betsy Vacations we're used to! :)
Glad Carrie is on the mend, so sorry about the black eye! The pictures are great, you have a lot of sun! I love Evie's map tracking idea! Thanks. I love Chillean wine - wish I was there.
Love the photos, keep 'em coming!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home