Monday, December 11, 2006


DAY 41
VALPARISIO/VINA DEL MAR, CHILE
Yesterday was another bit of a struggle. We drove for six hours with Carrie sick in the front seat, only to arrive in Valparaiso and end up lost for another hour in the mess of curvy uphill streets, pot holes, and various other road blocks.
We keep joking we feel like we are in the Amazing Race. I can just hear the host "Tonight´s pit stop is the Hostel Brighton, a lovely Victorian built in the hills of Valpariso in 1876. However, to get there you must first make your way through the tiny streets of this port town. The ongoing construction and one way streets could cause delays."
Anyhow....we finally got out of the car and walked. By the time we found it Carrie needed to go straight to bed. However, we were lucky and the hotel had a great terrace bar with an incredible view of the port and Rich, Dave and I settled in for drinks. Later Carrie was well enough to want dinner....which we took as a good sign.
This morning we got Carrie and Dave up at 9am....a small miracle....and headed straight for Vina Del Mar just 15 minutes away. I think our book describes Valpariso as "Vina Del Mar´s blue collar sister" and they might be somewhat on track. Valpariso is very Victorian, beautiful old buildings and squares....but they don´t seem to have the money to keep it up. Its very dirty and the streets and buildings are falling apart. However, despite this...there seems to be a vibe there. Very bohemian style cafes, street vendors, and music.
Vina on the otherhand is "BIENVENIDOS A BOCA VISTA, FLORIDA". Its almost impossible (except no one speaks English) to distinguish this town from Boca or any other high rise community along Florida´s beaches. This fact gives me hope that for lunch I will be eating something other than pasta, pizza, or platos traditionales.
I am craving tofu......and I am thinking I might possible find it here!So sorry about no photos!!!!!! Its been days since we found a computer that can download them....but as soon as we do.....I´ll post bunches!
PS: I am loving the dialog in the comments! Its fun!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Must be our dramatic nature to think of life as episodic telivision. When do you get to park somewhere for a few days?
I am starting to get your Christmas cards. ANYONE READING OUT THERE WHO HAS NOT SENT A CARD TO THE HERALDS OLD ADDRESS.... PLEASE DON'T! I am hoping Santa brings a mail shredder for christmas as I can't see the top of the kitchen counter any longer.
Tell Carrie, lo siento, I feel her pain, I've been sick too and am going to the MD tomorrow after much family nagging.
Zack has turned into speed skater hockey lover, who knew, I can't even keep up with him on the ice. I owe Bill Tobin a drink for sharing the benefits of hockey with me.
Kayla can't wait to go to Brazil and we are listening to language tapes. She told her class how she's going to copacabanna with her "bi-tinni" (aka bikini)
Can't wait for February!
H

10:09 AM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

Carrie - so glad you are feeling better. Dave and I have had our share of what he likes to call Montezuma's revenge - both in Mexico and Dave had a terrible sickness on our honeymoon in Rome. It definitely makes traveling interesting when the conveniences of home aren't close at hand. Hopefully it has passed and you are ready for many "healthy" adventures.
Florida in SA...fun, fun. Bets- I hope you were able to get some tofu...or anything that added some yummy variety to the staples you have been having. Have you all done the wine country tour yet? When does that start?
We're gearing up for Christmas, we're heading to Chicago and will be very bummed to not have Christmas Eve with the Ward family. You all will be reveling in the gorgeous home in SA - how fun!!!
Sure you are anxious to have Bryce back - his antics alone are entertaining, whether in Boston or SA.
Lots of love
Paula and Dave

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoying all the accounts of the Herald's in the south. I have been keeping up with the details just have had some problems posting. Think I have it together now, thanks to Paula.
Glad to hear Carrie is feeling better, it's the worst being out of sorts on other territory. Ranger is fine, he has not been running away, I think he likes his pals ( Tonka and Mela) and his treats. We have all bonded with him. We'll miss you all for the holidays.
You are loved, gigi and ranger.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home