Thursday, December 14, 2006

Day 41 and 42
CASCADA DE LAS ANIMAS, CHILE (Waterfall of the spirits)
Two days of chill time in the mountains and the best news is everybody is about 90 % healthy. The only remnant of CarrieĀ“s illness is her nice black eye. A gift from when she slammed her head into the toilet while worshiping the porceline God. Poor thing.
Anyhow....this place is incredible. Its a little eco-resort about two hours South West of Santiago. We drove right around Santiago to avoid all the commotion of the Pinochet Furneral. We were told it was a bad time to be there....so we listened.
Anyhow, we are staying a a cute but rustic cabin with a small kitchen and four beds.
The first day here we took a long hike up into the Andes. It was spectacular. The stuff dreams are made of. We came upon beautiful waterfalls with crystal clear swimming pools of water underneath. No one else around.

Romantic and secluded, we opened a bottle of wine and hung out for a while.
However, the water comes from snow melt at the top of the mountains.....so the boys were the only ones brave enough to actually go for an ice cold dip!

The camp is also a working horse ranch...so the next day we went for a ride. It was beautiful. The views from the plateau at the top of the mountain are incredible. Snow capped peaks and lush green fields all the way down to the river.

I will admit though....the steep trails with sharp edges down to the mountain edge are a bit freaky.....and I walked down. Too nervous my horse would slip right off the side! The funny thing is...my horse did fine and I fell on my butt twice!
Thats OK.....I have decided I am plenty brave in many ways....I have nothing to prove....just some very dusty clothes to wash!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy: So... your transportation anxiety extends beyond the mechanical kind. The pictures are great. I don't blame you for not getting into the icy water, although it did look very beautiful. I would also agree that you (and Carrie) are incredibly brave in many, many ways. I love hearing about your travels and I look forward to more pictures.
Hugs and kisses to all, Evie
PS - I've decided to give my kids a geography lesson with your travels. I have bought a large map of South America and we are tracking your movements. It's been a lot of fun!

6:44 AM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

The pictures are great. How the boys went in the very very frigid water though...well that I can't understand :)
Glad you were able to get some downtime. The hike sounds wonderful and I love the picture of you on the horse. Was just talking to someone about mule ride in the Grand Canyon. They were telling me there's points where the trail is so narrow and 2 mules are passing each other that each person has to lean to the outside..so what that means is 1 person is scraping the side of the mountain and the other is leaning over a cliff. Given this new information I don't plan on taking a mule ride anytime soon.
Only another 10 days until Christmas. Amazing how quickly time flies.
Eileen is heading to CT this weekend for a trip and we are in charge of all 3 dogs. It is a blast to have them all together (which is actually more the norm than not)...they definitely are rambunctous and love to jump around. As I look around now I have Ranger konked out next to my desk, Tonka a few feet away on his dog bed and Mela sleeping..but with one eye open guarding the front door. And Dave says he's not sure he's ready for children...I think our family of 5 is ready for more chaos.
Love you tons
Paula

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home