Monday, January 15, 2007

Day76
BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
Sorry to have been so remise about writing! But, we have been so enthraled with enjoying our time in this incredible city that we have not had a moment to stop! So...I'll start at the beginning.....our first full day here we checked into the Four Seasons (Thanks Mom!). We quickly got our barrings in the "high rent district" of Recoleta where the hotel is located......and Bryce quickly reverted back to his roots by happily taking a call (on the private cell phone the hotel provided him!) from Braden and Madison.

Upon returning from our reconnisence mission to explore the neighborhood....we found Rich's friend, Chris, from high school hanging out in the lobby! He had been keeping up on the blog and email.....and decided Buenos Aires was as good a place as any to hang out with us. Those of you who know Chris...are not surprized. Anyway....our foursome quickly gathered friends and by the first night we were in a Argentine steak house having dinner with our new "crew". Rich and I, Chris, a vacationing couple from Italy named Paulo and Antionella, and Leo...the local professional soccor player.


The next day we all just relaxed for my birthday. The group hung out at the pool and I treated myself to a day at the spa and indulging in the wonderful Argentine tradition of siesta.

Hey! Its necessary! My birthday in Buenos with this crew....I knew it was going to be a late night!




My birthday evening started with a cake surprise from the hotel, which was very nice as it gave me the opportunity to have a little singing and celebration with Bryce.




We then headed out to a Japonese place the hotel recommended....very strange..but I have too much to tell to get into it....so we will skip it!

Following our very weird....three hour dinner, Chris insisted the Boston girl should spend some of her B-Day at a good old fashioned Irish Pub. So off we went to a place called Kilneys where the boys enjoyed Guiness and I drank two Cosmos that were even more strange than my dinner.











But the bar was fun and lively and all had a good time.

Around two am I ready ready to party and our group moved onto the Puerto Madero Barrio to a hot spot club called Asia De Cuba.


Packed in like Sardines, but enjoying the loud music and intense crowd of young and wild Argentinians we danced the night away into the wee hours of the morning when I finally convinced Rich the babysitter probably wanted to go home before noontime!

After sleeping away half of the next day we decided to take it easy and just stroll around the districts. We got lucky in that it was Sunday and the streets of Buenos Aires were alive with activity! Craft markets, street fairs, antique bizars, bands, jugglers, and more filled the cobblestone streets of the San Telmo Barrio and we spent hours just enjoying the vibe of the city.

Families dining in the streets.

Tango in the Square
The mime who stole Bryce off Rich's shoulders!
Just a lazy afternoon in Beunos Aires.......Thouroughly exhuasted from living the lifestyle of bed at 4am/wake up at 11.....we decided the Italians last night in BA would be a quiet one. Leo invited me to cook dinner for the group at his home and it sounded like an excellent plan. The only catch was that Leo took me to the grocery store and between an American (with terrible Spanish) and a single 20-something Argentinian soccor player (who had never grocery shopped before) it was a bit of an amusing ordeal to get all the ingredients. However the night turned out perfect. I managed to wiggle my way through Leo's kitchen as he set up an outdoor table in his backyard (turned private soccor field in dowtown BA). The night was warm and friendly and overall a perfect way to enjoy this incredible city.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

"Hello Buenos Aires
Just a little touch of star quality" as the song goes.
I was wondering if BA gobbles you up! Or over-indulged you. I am sorry you are a veggie, Alex said he had the most amazing meat in BA - aparently the BA meat standards are so high, McD's had to change their burgers from the way they make 'em in the states to meet the meat standard! Scary for those of us up here at the drive through, exciting for the steak eaters in BA. Well, the Pat's pulled one out against the Chargers yesterday, it was a great game and we are off to the AFC champoinship next week. Seems the kicking gig on the pats comes with good mojo as our young guy planted a 50 yarder no problem. Adam who? The kids were off today for MLK day. It is COLD COLD COLD and rainy ice! YUCK. We went to build a bear and RFC, nothing like a good wallet soaking to go along with the outdoor soaking! I am starting the Brazillian Bikini diet, because I really don't want to scream GRINGO as I we hang on the beach, and if I sport a bikini in current shape everyone will just screm. So I am on the wagon till we go! Gulp, it's been 24 hours, I am doing great.
Jule: We arrive in Rio Feb 20 and leave Feb 28th.
Oh, and Bets, my father in law might be joining us. He has had such a bad year and he has the miles and well.... I just invited him...
Can't wait for the next installment, So what was the deal with the Japaneese place? And how do you screw up a cosmo? I made famtastic holitini's (cosmos with read pommegranite in the bottom) for Xmas, when you get home.
OK, I've gone on and on, sorry. Love Heather

2:56 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ward Richardson said...

Bet,

Sounds like you´re having a great time in B.A.! How long are you going to stay there?

We´re at the Lima airport now, about to risk a cab ride to the city for dinner during our 8 hour layover. A guide book says there´s good Japanese in town. Hopefully it won´t be "wierd" like your experience. We´ll be in L.A. tomorrow morning - how weird! I´m So excited to brush my teeth with tap water. Funny, the things that you get excited about... Then it´s off to Bangkok for more culture shock. Because of the recent bombs there, we´ll probably hightail it to the southern beaches instead of staying in the city at all.

Hopefully we´ll make it back to the airport after our adventure to Lima City. If so, we´ll try to do a little blog update then and get some photos and narrative up for the Inca Trail.

Love,
Carrie

P.S. - A little complaint to some of your readers: Umm, Evie, Beth and family? Why no comments on our blog, only on Betsy´s?? You don´t love me? Sigh.

3:58 PM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

Hello Heralds! BA sounds really wonderful. I have to say it wasn't high on my list before (preconceived notions, big city, etc) but after reading the blog..well it sounds very appealing. Granted a stay at a 4 Seasons sounds appealing anywhere.
It was 13 degrees this morning when we got up..it has been quite frigid so knowing you are in 80+ degree weather is wonderful for you but very not so for me :)
Hope you are having a wonderful time...wonder where you are off to next.

Heather - have a great time in Rio - sure you guys will tear up the town!

Love you all

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home