Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day 21 and 22
COPACABANA, BOLIVIA

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl.....At the Copa, COPACABANA!
Alright...my dear friend Barry....there are no showgirls and to mention it...we are NOT North of Havana...but none the less...we love this little town. And best of all....our first boarder crossing went off without a hitch!
Copa is the first place we have been that is nothing like what I expected. I knew that it was not a high life town...but sleepy does not even begin to describe this place. Getting off the bus yesterday it felt like we had arrived in no mans land. The streets were practically deserted...no people, no shops, no taxis! But, with the help of a couple of local guys, we and our stuff, found our way to our hotel and it is LOVELY! A hacienda style place where every room has spectacular views of Lake Titicaca. Its called Hotel Rosario Del Lago. After putting our stuff in our room with the help of very friendly staff, we went wandering down to the Lakefront and found the main drag...okay...the only drag. Its a hilly street lined with cafes with outdoor seating and market stands selling all sorts of colorful wares. Its funny...its like the town once was something more, or maybe at one time aspired to BE something more. There is a lovely boardwalk along the lake made of cement and decorated with pebble tiles. Along the boardwalk is a defunct mini'kids carnival, and storefronts, and hotels....but they are all long since vacant. Did they try and never suceed...or never try...I wonder.
We had a great dinner last night next to a fireplace, a four course meal for three for $17US. Despite the glorious sunshine we had all day, at night there was a massive storm! Hail, thunder, lightening, rain.....it pounded so loud on the roof of the restaurant we could not even talk to each other! We decided to walk home the shortcut...due to the storm. Its a pathway along the beach. It was dark and quiet...no lights, no people....but you just feel so safe here. And I really believe you are.
Today we took a boat to Isla Del Sol...one of the Lake Islands. This one was more modern than Taquille. I.E. they had electricity and a bathroom. We went for a gorgeous hike up the mountain seeing pigs, cows, and mud houses as we went. We also saw the Sun Dial the pre'incas built to praise their God. They have found artifacts on the island from 300BC. There is so much history here, so much power and presence! The boat back was not for another couple of hours after we finished the hike and a snack....but we joined a couple from Ireland and a couple from Switzerland and hired a private boat to take us the two hours back to Copa. I know...big spenders...it cost $15!
OK...I know I keep talking prices, but that is because its incredible. Its all anyone here talks about because its almost unreal how cheap it is! You feel bad....but at the same time, you cant stop getting excited everytime you pay for something.
Now..lets talk something important...I wanted to get back early so that I could go shopping! And shop I did...for two hours up and down the street. I had four shopping bags and spent about $25US!!!!
Gorgeous sweaters for $4, gloves and hats made of Llama fur for $2, hand sewn purses for $5! I swear...if we were not already carrying WAY too much stuff, I would have filled a suitcase, brought it home and given away everything to my friends....or sold it and made a fortune!
Ummmm...I think there is a business idea here! Kristen...are you reading...you have good taste and buying experience!
Anyhow...must get going.
Love you all!
B, B, and R
P.S....turns out Rich had food poisoning...but he ate three plates for dinner last night...so I think he will survive!
P.P.S...no pictures...another land of no downloading!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Richard, Betsy and Bryce
I see your traveling is going well .Its a shame mine has come to an end ,Yep I’m back in "sunny" England .But thanks for the Friday night had a brilliant time at Bryce's birthday party/ my leaving fiesta .Ended up at the kareoke bar afterwards drinking copious amounts of Cusquena.
On the Sunday Dante, Karina and Fedra took me to try the local dish of guinea pig! Wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, but not much meat.
Well thanks again and i hope all your travels go well.
Bien viaje

6:20 PM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Uhhh Bets... do they have Fed Ex? YOu can ship to my address cute hand made goods :)

I am glad you are working under budget in Bolvia, because when you get to Rio it's gonna cost!
Glad Rich is better!
Glad you guys are having so much fun!!! But do REALLY miss you, I still pick up the phone every morning after dropping Kayla, pause, and say to myslef, no I have no one to call.
XOXOXOXOX
Heather

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home