Monday, November 13, 2006

Day 13
Cusco, Peru

ROCKING AND ROLLING
Yes...rocking and rolling....Literally! I awoke at 3am this morning to the strange sensation my bed had been moved onto a ship. But as I came fully alert, I realized the problem...EARTHQUAKE! The host mother at our house woke up to check on family members, the dogs, chickens, and various other animals outside began to go crazy....and Rich and Bryce slept right through it!
I guess I am the only one who gets to add earthquake to my Peruvian Experience. There is no TV here to check the scale, but someone here says it was a 5.7. I guess that is not a huge deal in Peru...but it sure freaked me out.
Anyhow....last night we moved in with our host family here in Cusco. The family is quite nice. They have an 8 year old daughter. She and Bryce became instant friends. But, what he likes the most is their 8 week old German Shepherd named Venus. He goes crazy over that puppy. And I have to admit...she is pretty cute!
The house is nice. Standard SA design, cement block. But, I gather it is a bit nicer than the majority here because it is three stories with three bathrooms. However, do not misunderstand....that does not mean hot water. For any chance of that, you have to turn the dial one way and be careful to only touch the rubber or the electrical wires providing the bit of hot water will shock you! No heat....but they do have a maid. Its a very different culture. Strange, what in the US we would consider poverty, I get the feeling is upper middle class in Peru. Different expectations, different access. The family was having a party when we arrived last night....language is definately a struggle, but Rich´s IPOD seemed to be the hit that broke the barrier.
School this morning was good. Bryce went to his class like a champ and Rich and I are alone with our tudor. I can see Rich is frustrated at trying to learn the language, but I keep reminding him....we do not have to have a full on conversation....we just need to get by.
He and Bryce have now gone off to find a playground. Some German guy at our favorite restaurant drew them a map and promised there is one. I am off the the travel agent. On Saturday we hope to leave for Bolivia!
B, B and R

6 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Have you booked carnival yet? We may meet you right after in Rio around the 19th then tag along till March 1. Hope that's okay. I found a site that has great deals. best travel store - they are an international consolodator. Hope they aren't fake, thats for sure. but other blogs seem to talk about them. It's rainy here, has been for 2 days. Alex is in Vegas. We went to see Santa Clause 3 the Escape Clause, very cute, but reminded me that Thanksgiving is next week. Where will you break bread? Bolivia?
Love ya!!!! Miss you, my friends are ready to shoot me - no one seems to want to make the time to talk about the piddly stuff you and I seem to be albe to talk about ten times a day! Jerks!
xoxoxox
H

1:15 PM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

Earthquake, probably weren't expecting that. I'm back in CA this week and hoping there's no plate movement here.
It must be a boy thing or maybe just the Herald boys, Dave also sleeps thru everything.
Betsy - are you feeling better? The "cures" for altitude sickness were quite interesting...never realized that.
What are the classes like? Is it just you and Rich with a tutor? How long will you be with the family? I know...so many questions.
Betsy - I sent you an email today as well.
Hope the studies are going well.
xoxoxo
Paula and Dave

4:03 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ward Richardson said...

I'm so gald you guys are taking those Spanish lessons. It will come in handy...for all of us. :)
Tell Rich to hang in there. We need him to be able to ask questions about Chilean wine.

Still working on the Antofagsta problem. Check your email for more details.

4:38 PM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

We're coming we're coming we're coming.....
I booked the flights, we arrive in Rio Feb 20 at 8:10am! We may be tired buy we're ready for Samba parade!
Can't wait, miss you SOOOOOOO much!!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

We're coming we're coming we're coming.....
I booked the flights, we arrive in Rio Feb 20 at 8:10am! We may be tired buy we're ready for Samba parade!
Can't wait, miss you SOOOOOOO much!!!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Carrie sent me your link, wow, is all I have to say. For some strange reason I am in awe that you left everything and picked up and moved to another country.. Then I realized I just did the very same thing, must be in the blood!!I would send you a save the date for my wedding but don't think it would arrive to you before April.; ) Ask Carrie for details, we know she is good at those. Anyway, we would love to have you, it is April 13th 2007 in Ireland! Take good Care! Love, Colleen

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home