Saturday, November 11, 2006



Day 11
Cusco
Some of our photos did not post yesterday. Hopefully you can see them now.
Back here in Cusco. Its funny how perspective changes. When we first came here it felt like a tiny Mountain town. Now, after spending a week in The Sacred Valley, it feels like a thriving metro.
I had a cute moment this morning before we left our little house in the country. I was sitting on the patio drinking my tea when a bunch of lambs came running down the pathway. Chasing the lambs was Bryce, chasing Bryce were the dogs....very cute.
As for travel tips:
We loved Ollaytaytambo and Pisco....we did not love Urumbamba. Pisco is charming and wonderful and lively. Ollaytamtambo is quaint and sweet and traditional. Urumbamba is dirty, ugly, noisey, and the fumes from all the trucks made Bryce throw up!
If you want to see the sacred valley....I highly recomend staying in one of the first two towns. They are all close...so you can hop around by taxi easily. Its about $10 from town to town.
Second: I did not want to say until I knew I was better...but I was VERY sick yesterday. Altitude sickness in a bad way. Sick to my stomach, severe headach, I was so tired it took all day to get me out of bed. Then after our outing to find internet, I was even worse. But, I met a guy who grew up in Lima, but now does business on Congress St. in Boston!
He gave me a few tips and I feel great. I highly encourage all Andes travelers to follow them:
1. No coffee and minimal alcohol if any.
2. Drink the TEA! Five cups of coca tea and I felt a million times better! Now I am living on the stuff. Drink it everytime they give it to you (which is all the time).
3. Light meals only. Heavy food is the main cause of altitude sickness. I did not know that!
Anyway....since you should all come here someday...that info should be useful!
Love,
B, B, and R

1 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Glad you are better... sounds like those leaves are the way to be. Always best to embrace the local ways when you are in other places. Take care of yourselves, sorry Brycee was sick. I immagine they don't have the same inspection standards for car gases as we do in the states.
Alex is off to Vegas Sunday so I will be solo mamma all week. I will look for blogs and probably write lots.
Those dogs look very big. Kayla's mantra these days is that she wants a poodle for Christmas.... Gulp, sorry kid, been there done that paid the allergy bills.
I am working on travel will let you know as soon as we work out a plan.
xoxoxox
H

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home