Friday, November 10, 2006



Day 9 and 10
URUMBAMBA and OLLAYTAMBABA
Well....the rental house which the woman at our hotel called "simple" actually turned out to be quite adorable. Its a little two story Adobe style two bedroom with mahogany floors, and a big open clay fireplace in the kitchen. Its surrounded by gardens....and the best part is it came with our two new friends: Run and Okishie. . The biggest dogs I have ever seen in my life! (As you can see in the photo)They say they are our guard dogs...but seeing as they ate Bryce´s MacnCheese and then jumped into bed with us....I am not so sure. For other travelers: The house is called Kuychi Rumi. This town is very remote, but there are ruins here, some shops and cafes and they are trying to make a name for themselves in adventure sports. However, they may be five years away from real tourism...so get here soon!
The one disadvantage to not being in a hotel....no one to tell you what to do...no conceierge or info packets. So...we did what I know best. We called a cab. The driver spoke No English and our spanish is very bad....but we ended up having a great day! First he took us to the Pisac Market which is incredible. The larget Highlands market, they sell food, dye, sweaters, blankets, musical instruments...everything you could think of. They cook Empanades in huge stone ovens and Bryce´s favorite part: they have these elaborate guinea pìg houses everywhere. I swear they must be nicer than some of the people´s homes. We could not bring ourselves to tell Bryce the guinea pigs are for dinner....:)
Next were were off to our driver´s friend´s Alpaca farm high up in the mountain. What an incredible place! The children run around and feed these huge animals, the women sheer them and then sit and weave with the wool. They let Bryce run through the pens, feed them, climb in the hayloft. It was great. But at one point I had to yell "Bryce, no ridding Llamas without a grownup around!" As a mother...I really never thought I would say those words!
Then off to a fish farm where Bryce got to feed the fish and home. We crashed last night at 7pm! I blame the altitude.
Today I have been a little sick..so we took a family rest day and then used the same taxi to travel 30 kilometers to an internet cafe! I must be addicted.
Speaking of....THANK YOU EVERYBODY! All the comments and emails this time were great! We love it!
Take Care,B, B, &R

6 Comments:

Blogger paula&dave said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:01 AM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

So you are about 10 days into your trip....can't believe how fast time flies. I can definitely understand the in bed by 7p....you must be exhausted. I didn't see the pics of the 2 "guard" dogs? I see the pics with the kids and the llama - are you posting more pics somewhere else?
Ranger is doing great...he gobbled up a stick of butter the other night when we weren't looking...but didn't seem to bother him.
We're sending a packet to Bryce early next week (Monday is Veteran's Day so the post office won't be open then). Any other requests before we send it off?
Miss you tons!
love, paula and dave

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Gigi here, I am having trouble sending these comments and signing in, but I think this one is going to go... I will write more once I get a chance to read all the postings that you have written. As Dave and Paula mentioned, there is a package for Bryce coming from Arizona. Miss you and love you all, Love, Gigi

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a test to make sure I have completed sign in: love gigi & ranger

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the running comentary of your trip. I got all caught up on your travellog and really appreciate your diligence in keeping us informed. Keep it streaming, it's fun for us.
Ranger up-date: we have fewer stuffed toys to clean up than when he came to visit, most of them are out in the yard with the stuffing spread out all over the place. He tried to bury the evidence but just wasn't quick enough. Mela, Tonka and I are bonding with him and really enjoying some of his antics. He knows when he is good and I now when he has been bad, he is not too good at covering up his deeds. He went to the pet groomer last week and looks great.
You are loved, GiGi & Ranger

1:04 PM  
Blogger The Herald Family said...

Thanks Herald family for the updates this week! Sounds like Ranger is very happty. That means a lot to us. Lots of Love to you all and I am sure Bryce will be VERY happy to get his package. Your Christmas presents are also on teh way.
Dave....its not my fault....Rich picked it out!
B

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home