Sunday, December 31, 2006

Day 61
PUERTO OCTAY, CHILE
New Years Eve and things are falling apart! The bank machine ate Rich´s ATM card....before giving him money....and mine is being rejected by the machine too! We don´t even bank at the same bank! So hence, we have no money....which we decided was fine because there really is nowhere to spend money here....but we will try the banks in Puerto Montt tomorrow....OK one crisis handeled.
But, then I drove to town to check my email.....and our boat to the South has been canceled! Canceled! This is the one thing we planned over four months ago! It is the only way to get down south without flying in what they call a "Air Taxi" which A. is expensive and B. Very scarry!
I have been looking forward to the "Frieghter Crater" trip through the Fiords as long as we have known we were coming down here. My heart is broken. And now we have to decide whether to skip heading toward the horn all together or......or.....I am not sure!
Not a happy holiday to say the least.
Dave and Carrie took off early this morning for their "Air Taxi" to the Futaleufu River (some of the best rafting in the world) I hope their day is going better than ours.
It is funny being just the three of us again. We have not been this way for over a month! I will admit, there are advantages and disadvantages to having everyone together. We loved having the company and conversation. And we love my family. But, it can also be hard organizing a group of seven everyday.....especially without cell phones.
I am sure there are times we will miss them all and times we will be happy just to be our threesome again. In tribute to our time as a family.....here is a nice family pic.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

Happy New Year?!?!?!? I am sorry to hear about the money woes!
I think you should do like the guy in 8 Below did. Go as far south as you can and there will be someone to give you a lift down to the pole, I will email Doug and ask him his opinion for you. But I think he goes in on military planes. If you can't get soth - you could always go back up to your favorite spots from before.
It's a rainy New Years Day but the evening was nice. Cold enough that the ice sculptures did not melt on the common. Today we will relax, finish putting the xmas decor away and gear up for a new year. Back to school tomorrow. I can't believe you've been gone 60 days! I rememmer when it said 40 and I thought, well she outlasted Noah and the arc. YOu go girl!

7:00 AM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

Happy New Year!!! 2007 - it is amazing how fast time flies.
Sorry to hear about the ATM - and more sorry about the Crater Freighter - I know you guys were so looking forward to that. I'm sure by now you have come up with another plan...and one that will be wonderful! you are quite resourceful!
We got back from Chicago last night - had a nice time but we were exhausted!!!
Having a bit of a lazy day here - it's sunny but only 45 degrees. We're all back to work tomorrow - not excited about that.
Have fun with your boys - you guys can get thru anything as long as you are together.
Here's to wonderful adventures in 2007!
Love you all

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bets:
So sorry to hear about the freighter and your ATM troubles. You must be very disappointed. However, I have no doubt that you will figure out the next adventure. If there's a will, there's a way - and I think that's been your motto since you were about 1 1/2, probably even from day one in this wonderful thing we call life.
I wish you, Rich, and Bryce the best year yet. Safe travels!
Hugs, Evie

11:25 AM  
Blogger Mariola said...

So good to see the whole family together! I miss you guys...

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home