Sunday, December 31, 2006



Day 60
PUERTO OCTAY, CHILE
Day 60! Can you believe it! I think of all we have done and seen. Life in Reading seems so far away now.....hell life in Peru already feels like a million years ago! Long gone are the days in Aguas Calientes where we sipped rich coffee poured in a religious type ceremony. We are now quite use to our Nescafe! I can´t count how many mornings we have had biscuits, ham, and cheese for breakfast or how may various internet cafes we have sat in.
I have finally gotten use to carrying my own TP and soap in my bag, I no longer reach for my cell phone when given a moment in the car or waiting in a cafe. Actually, when I hear a cell phone ring I am a little shocked.....it seems strange that people continue to go about using them.
I have not grown accustomed to the fact that Argentinians and Chileans do not wait in line or believe in personal space. And I will admit that I miss being able to call Rich when I can´t find him or we need to coordinate plans. Here....you just wait until someone comes back from where ever they went. I am forced into a much more subdued lifestyle and I can´t say I don´t like it.
Today is Carrie and Dave´s last day and we find ourselves back in Chile in a very tiny town called Puerto Octay. Its on a lake with stunning views of the Volcano. To call it "small" is actually an understatement. Its the first town we have found with no internet cafe (I am currently nealy an hour away in a bigger town of about 1500 people). It seems that poeple come here for peace and quiet....which won´t kill us. We are staying in a hotel called Centinela and quite does not really even begin to explain this place. They have a small beach (and its finally getting hot enough to swim!) and a dock with one boat. They have a lush green lawn, a restaurant.....and not much else. Driving into town also will not help you. Its completely closed for the New Year weekend. The book says this is a good place to spend three days in bed.....and I can see why. Waking up from our adorable cabin with the stunning views (above is right out our front door) is enough to make anyone feel a bit chill.
Tonight is Carrie and Dave´s last night with us. So, we plan to eat dinner here (there really is nowhere else) and play cards and drink wine.....its our standard MO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home