Friday, December 22, 2006

Day 52
Puerto Montt, Chile
Yesterday was lovely. After a lazy morning Rich, Carrie and Dave went rafting. They were only class three rapids and Bryce and I wanted to go...but the guides said no to my munchkin. Bryce reminded me several times he has done class 3 rapids before....but if the guides think its a bad idea...I am not the mother to fight them. So.. Bryce and I went wandering around Puerto Varas.
(I´ll try to get rich to post pictures and write about the rafting later. They had a great time!)
It turned out to be a lot of fun. It finally felt like Christmas.
A. We were shopping!
B. They were pumping Christmas Carols into the streets through loud speakers
C. They sell fresh Christmas cookies on every corner and we even saw a santa!
It was fun to start getting pumped for the holiday. Better late than never.
Today.....more problems. We arrived back in Puerto Montt to pick up my parents and our permits to travel to Argentina. But, the permits were in the wrong name! Buracracy and this family just do not seem to get along!
So now.....Bryce and Rich have gone to get my parents, Carrie went to return our Chillean rental car, and Dave....I am not sure where Dave went. But, I do know I have been left here alone to wait for the new permits. Alone in Puerto Montt. Cold, rainy....and lets not forget....dangerous Puerto Montt.
But, I am not worried. They are my family. They will come back for me.
And if they don´t.......I have a credit card and a passport. Don´t look for me....I´ll be sunning myself on a beach somewhere near Rio!

3 Comments:

Blogger paula&dave said...

My typical morning. Get up, scratch my every-itchy dog, do the bathroom thing, then sit at the computer and look for an update on the Herald Family Adventures. This morning there wasn't an update yet....but never fear - I check every 30 minutes or so because I know Betsy will come thru!!!! So low and behold I head back about 40 minutes later (I tried to take 3 dogs for a walk....it was definitely a site for the neighbors. Can't tell you how many times I got tangled in their leashes). Anway...I come back and a new posting is there. It is great because it feels like you guys are right here.....makes me think of that movie with the mouse and the song, "Somewhere out there...."
Ok - enough rambling. Hoping you get the papers you are waiting for. And since Rich and Bryce are on their way to get John and Jule I assume that means they have their passports and all is well.
We went to see the Red Rock Fantasy last night. 45 local families get together and each decorate a spot at Los Abrigados (a timeshare in Sedona) and then you pay $6 to walk thru and see all the decorations. Then of course vote. Dave liked the ACME toys decoration best because it had moving parts - he's such a boy.
I liked the penguins..but they won last year so weren't eligible this year. So instead I voted for Chritmas Then and Now - very clever. The Battleship game vs today's IPOD, etc.
Enough rambling. Hope you are enjoying your shopping and getting in the Christmas spirit.
Love to you all!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that all went well with your mom's passport!!! I love your Plan B if no one shows up to get you. I have a friend who grew up in Rio and she misses it, especially during the holidays. I told her about your adventures and she had a panicked look on her face. She said that she'd never be able to do anything like you're doing. Then she asked me if I could do it, and I said, "In a heartbeat." She then asked if Patrick would do it and I replied, "Not on your life." I could probably convince him to travel through Europe for a few months, but it would have to be very planned out before he'd go. I love, love, love what you are doing and, once again, I find myself living vicariously through the Wards.
I hope you have a few uneventful travels in the days ahead. Although, the road bumps do add to the adventure. Give my love to everyone. Merry Christmas!!!! Evie

12:35 PM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

I love the comments as much as the blog! Paula, I am in stitches with the immage of Paula the dog wisperer (or not). ANd you will be sunning yourself near Rio soon enough!
Well.. I think I am ready for Christmas. There is no snow and it's been 55 in Boston ALL WEEK! It's insane. YOu want to reach for the hat and scarf, boots and mittens. Then you look out, and there is no frost, the buds on the plants aren't squinched up at all and the grass.. well it's as green as August. Then you walk out and there is no Jack Frost nipping at your nose. It's strange. Tonigt we get rain rain rain. I am really looking forward to the children Chrsitmas morning.
So glad that you all will be together, you'll get the right papers, I have't seen a scene you can't navigate yet! If it were me, you'd be screwed, waiting for a bellman, hahahah.
Looking forward to more posts, I too. I have you set to the homepage on my smartphone and find I check at the most, well, interesting times.
OK, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home