Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Day 49
Puerto Montt, Chile
Happy anniversary Mom and Dad! But.....not really. What a disaster! In our rush to get out of Puerto Montt as quickly as possible we were all running around taking turns doing errands.My Mom´s task was to take care of Bryce and he wanted to go to McDonald´s....so off they went as we packed up the cars.
When they returned we were all anxious to hit the road....but my Mom´s face told us something was terribly wrong. She explained to us she had been robbed. She was unhurt....but since we were packing and getting ready to change cities she has put EVERYTHING in her purse. All my parents cash, all five of their credit cards, their ATM card, her perscriptions, her glasses, and worst of all......her passport.
The very helpful hotel staff quickly jumped into gear calling the police while my Dad got on the cell to cancel all their cards and Carrie hopped on the computer to contact the embassy. The embassy clearly explained to us that the only way to get another passport (the only way for her to be with us in Argentina for Christmas) was to go to Santiago....11 hours away.
So...we did the only things we could. I drew as much cash as I could from my ATM to give them and Carrie charged plane flights on her Visa. We drove them to the airport. It would be a minimum of 4 days in Santiago.......and at worst......two weeks.
My poor Mom felt so awful. It was their wedding anniversary. But, the clear demonstrations of 42 years olf love and marriage shined through. My Dad never once solded her and never once did he consider not returning to Santiago with her. They are a team. He simply felt bad for her because he knows how much she wanted all of us together.
At the airport we had one final scare when the desk at the airline told us they had seats for my parents.....but no meals. Its a two hour flight........so who cares!? Well...it seems Air Sur cares and will not fly any "guests" without a meal. Are you kidding me?????
After much begging, they let them on the flight 15 minutes before take off.
The five us us moved on to the Ferry to Chiloe.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Hardy family said...

OH JULE!!!!!! Thank God you and Bryce were not hurt, that is most important! Hugs Kisses and a big HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I hope Alex and I are as happy and prosperous as you and John!
LOVE, Heather

2:37 PM  
Blogger paula&dave said...

Thank goodness Jule and Bryce are ok. I am so sorry John and Jule have had to go through all of this on their anniversary. I am sending many positive thoughts that the passports are ready very quickly and they can join the rest of you soon.
Sounds like Bryce is so happy to be back with mom and dad, although the Fun Factory on the ship was probably pretty awesome too.
Hang in there!
Love you all

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home