Sunday, November 26, 2006

Day 26
La Paz to Oruro to Uyuni
Yes...today will be a travel day starting in a few hours and ending at 2am. The next day we get in a Jeep with a driver for a five day tour of Southern Bolivia. Today means another scary bus ride....I will be happy when these are Over! At least its a warm beautiful day here in La Paz. The sun is shinning and it might hit 75 degrees!
Its funny...after all I have said about La Paz...its actually hard to leave. You see, I have traveled quite a bit before...but never without an "exact" home to go back to. I think because we are truely wanderers right now, each place we stay, if even for a day or two, becomes "Home."
As much as I am excited for each new place, each new adventure....it gets hard to continuously leave the familiar no matter what it is.
I told Bryce we were going to the Salt Flats for five days and he said "Five days in one place!!!!??" I explained that..no...only one night at each hotel...but five days in the same car!
That seemed to make more sense to him.
Last night we went to what is probably one of the nicest restaurants in Bolivia. Its one of those at the top of a skyscrapper with an incredible view all the way to the snowcaps. They serve things like beef and potatos and desserts such as Bananas Flambe and Creps Suizett. I told Rich that it reminded me of the fancy restaurants of my grandparents generation. He made a good comment "We have not just traveled in miles, it is as if we traveled back in time." Its really true...things are "older" here.
Today I mailed packages...note to travelers: To mail anything in Bolivia you need two copies of your passport (although they have no photocopiers here) and a roll of tape. They will NOT mail a package unless you give them a roll of tape! I did not know this, but luckily some Israelis took pitty on me and gave me one of their rolls.
Christmas presents are on the way thanks to the State of Israel!
B, B, and R

5 Comments:

Blogger paula&dave said...

Hello Bolivia. How fun to be in a new country. We received our package yesterday and the gifts are wonderful. Dave's is a hit. Tonka loves when Dave blows it. It seems the gifts arrived in just a few short days...can that be right?
The pics of Bryce's birthday are wonderful. Love that the Herald boys are diving face first into the cake...Dave is definitely jealous of that:)
It is a beautiful Sunday here (sunny yet very Fall-like and brisk). We are off to take a hike in the red rocks...then some running - Dave signed us up for a half-marathon...it is going to hurt I'm sure.
Lots of love
Paula, Dave, and Tonka

8:26 AM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

Hello Heralds!
Five days, three travelers, one car.
Tune in for the bext episode of The Heralds Go South.

Hey - you need to advise me of American matters!!!! Did you get my email?

When are Nanna and Pappa headed down? I have some papers I think I should fed ex them to bring to you.

XOX H

4:20 PM  
Blogger The Hardy family said...

Hi Nanna!
I am waiting for word on Betsy regarding sending stuff to you. I will call if that is what she wants me to do.
As for Kayla, Papa has some competition, Kayla visited Santa this weekend and as she finished her chat with him and smiled to say Thank you, Santa looked at me and said, "sorry mom, I'm taking this on eto the north pole, she's a perfect little elf!" ha-ha - it was so adorable.

Actually, there is room in the house in Rio in February! Just about the time you will be hankering for some warmth!

Heather

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Richard, Betsy and Bryce.
I see your travels are going well.
Forgot to leave my email address, here it is quinny1980@hotmail.com
Not much happening in England, it is raining again though! No surprise there.
Well hope all is well
Adios

2:56 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ward Richardson said...

Hey Bet,

Can't believe we will see you in one week!

Love the blog, keep it coming. I'm working on all the car reservations, etc. As soon as you hit Chile you're going to need to look into our plane "reservations" with Sky Airlines in Chile. I never received any confirmation emails, and I couldn't print the reservations page of our flights from Santiago to Tecumo... although they did charge my credit card for all the flights - hopefully a good sign. Let's just hope that we really have reservations.

Have fun on the salt flats. Kisses to Bryce!

Love,
Carrie

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home